Monday, March 01, 2004

Dreams are Made in a Dress that Fits

Every bride dreams of looking her best on her wedding day, and spends hours shopping for the perfect gown. But brides often worry about those extra two or three pounds ...

Every bride dreams of looking her best on her wedding day. Plans for hair styles, makeup, and THE DRESS are all-consuming. Finding the perfect wedding gown can require hours of shopping. Many brides feel that perhaps if they lost a couple of pounds before their wedding day, they'd look more stunning as they walk down the aisle. Not true. Think back to every wedding you've ever attended. Unless you are the catty type and the bride stole your own boyfriend and is now walking down the aisle with him, you likely only had nice thoughts about how she looked. The flush of excitement in her face, the beautiful hair-do and makeup, the overall elegant surroundings; these brides are beautiful.

Now imagine the uncomfortable and far-from-pleasant day she would have if she was in a dress that pinched under the arms, or didn't let her take a full breath. Oxygen is essential to a beautiful wedding day!

While you may think losing a few pounds is the only way to achieve your desired "look" for the special day, keep in mind that planning a wedding and getting close to the wedding date can be very stressful. In many cases, stress can lead to overeating, and there are also numerous celebrations planned by family and friends prior to the big day which usually involve food and sweets. It can be a very tempting time. Your fiance loves you, at the size you are, so really there is no need to shed any weight for the wedding day. The key is to find yourself a dress you love and that looks good right NOW, and arrange for any necessary alterations later on.

You'll order your dress long before the wedding day, many times up to a year in advance! Wedding gowns are seldom off-the-rack purchases. Unless you are a size zero (lucky you) you'll have to attend fittings to adjust, alter and hem. IF you have lost any weight before your wedding, then at the final fitting one or two weeks before the ceremony, alterations can be made. You can always make a dress smaller, but it is extremely difficult to make it bigger.

I have heard the seamstresses agonizing about the bride who assumed she'd lose those couple of pounds and a week before the ceremony is asking for PANELS to be added to the dress! Don't let this be you. If you are trying on a dress that looks gorgeous but is very snug around the bosom, or pulls a bit across the rump, you are apt to think: "oh, well, after I lose 5 pounds it will be perfect". Do not order this size! Find the size that fits you now in the dress you love, and order it in that size. You do not want to spend one of the most important days of your life in shoes that are too tight ... the same rule applies to your dress!

Beautiful brides are not created by their dress size, and nobody needs to know what that size is except you. Be glamorous, be gorgeous - be comfortable!

Best wishes,

Kathy


Visit iBride if you are looking for Bridal Gowns and Wedding Dresses


Feel free to leave your comment!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:22 PM

    I wanted to leave a comment about my experiences at White which is located at 19 Hazelton lanes. Being a first time bride, I am new to this so I don't know all the steps involved in picking out bridesmaid dresses or my own gown. I ended up purchasing my bridesmaid dresses and my wedding gown from White in Toronto and have to say that my experiences with them have been less than desirable.
    For one they never told me to have my bridesmaids try on their dresses after I picked them up and they rushed me to order them 8 months in advance of the wedding. I finally asked the girls to try on their dresses and there are some factory flaws. How dissappointing. After leaving several messages no one bothered to call me back. I finally got in touch with White and they reamed me out. Not quite the unstressful experience I was expecting leading up to my wedding.
    I found similar experiences when purchasing my wedding gown from this establishment. I felt rushed, with minimum help and no follow up to voicemails left.
    My adive to any bride is that when purchasing any dress for your wedding, take the time you require to find the right dress and get the information you need. Don't let the wedding boutique bully you into a dress that does not fit all your requirements, size being only one factor. Of course every bride wants a stress free wedding day, but right now I would pay for some stress free experiences leading up to the wedding.
    If only I had known to find a wedding expert that could have guided me through the purchasing process. I could have found dresses that fit and avoided all the hassles that came with the purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:30 PM

    Hi There - I can definitely relate to poor customer service. I recently purchased a dress at Beckers "The Dressing Room" on the Danforth and had a similarly horrible experience. When we first went to try on potential dresses, we were told to make a 'rush' order because the wedding was less than 14 weeks away. It wasn't. It was 17 weeks away. We literally had to walk the Beckers' Dressing Room manager through her calendar to avoid paying the extra $40 or so for the rush order and prove our point. I bet they get a lot of suckers signed up for the rush order. Then, I was told to order a size 12 when I'm usually an 8 or a 10. I protested, saying that it seemed way too big on me but they insisted and made me sign their 'contract'. Sure enough when I went back to pick up the dress, it was much too large for me. The Beckers' Dressing Room manager told me that I had signed the contract agreeing that this was the best size. I reminder her of my initial statement that I'd like a smaller size and that they convinced me to get the bigger one. I asked for a discount given I would now have to get alterations. She refused absolutely and said that this was my problem. In addition to my horror story, the three other bridesmaids experienced similar service. Two dresses were the wrong size and one had pulled seams. The Beckers Dressing Room manager again showed no concern and offered no apology to any of us. I was horrified by this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:14 PM

    nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think bridal makeup is very important.Bridal hair make up is also very important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to leave a comment about my experiences at White which is located at 19 Hazelton lanes. Being a first time bride, I am new to this so I don't know all the steps involved in picking out bridesmaid dresses or my own gown. I ended up purchasing my bridesmaid dresses and my wedding gown from White in Toronto and have to say that my experiences with them have been less than desirable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree, a few pounds will not make any difference only stress you out. A dress that fits is essential. I find brides wear too much make-up on their wedding day and usually over do it. I would recommend buying a dress that fits, wearing make-up you are comfortable with and not to over do anything. Fun is what it is about, not being somebody else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. if a piece of clothing fits beautifully, the lady will look and feel fantastic. if on the other hand it is too tight, well, that's when it starts to look less good!

    ReplyDelete